K.R. Lalla & Company comprises a diverse legal team, dedicated to developing highly-talented, passionate people who share our interest in working on engaging legal issues and applying a pragmatic, creative, and thoughtful approach to provide timely and usable legal guidance to our clients.
What we are offering:
We are offering a three-month Legal Internship for a driven, goal-oriented and eager Junior Attorney-at-Law to work with our team on a variety of cases ranging from corporate and commercial issues to criminal and conveyancing matters. In this position, you will gain valuable exposure to the legal issues facing commercial entities and individuals as well as learn about many aspects of legal procedure. You will have the opportunity to thrive in a dynamic legal environment and gain invaluable experience in a wide range of practice areas by assisting in legal research, preparing legal opinions, drafting court documents and observing the team engage in advocacy.
- Assist with file management of all matters.
- Conduct legal research and draft legal opinions.
- Keep abreast of Court directions and deadlines.
- Draft witness statements, claims, pleadings, affidavits, and conduct all other instructing work for Magistrate’s Court, Family Court, High Court and Industrial Court matters.
- Drafting documents for non-contentious work such as Deeds of Conveyance, Powers of Attorney, Company Documents, Work Permits, Wills and Probate Documents.
- Keeping abreast of recent judgments, updates on the law and new information obtained in legal practice and informing Senior Attorneys-at-Law of the same.
- Legal administrative duties.
- Supporting attorneys with taking court notes and ensuring briefs are organized for attorneys.
- Ensuring the firm’s corporate social responsibility is achieved through pro bono work, blog posts, articles, and firm website management.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B)
- Legal Education Certificate (LEC) or Legal Practice Certificate (LPC) or U.K. Equivalent (BPTC, etc.)
- Admission to Practise Law in Trinidad and Tobago and good standing with the Law Association of Trinidad and Tobago
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Hardworking and enthusiastic team player
- Reliable support for the firm’s Attorneys-at-Law
- Must be flexible to adapt to extra working hours to accommodate meeting deadlines and to facilitate urgent matters
- Willingness to learn and high level of initiative
- Excellent writing skills with a keen eye for detail
- Strong research and organisational skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise
- Excellent communication, professionalism and interpersonal skills
- Capability to work within a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- Proactive approach and ability to demonstrate initiative
All suitable applications including a cover letter and curriculum vitae are to be submitted to